Wednesday, April 14, 2010

April 14, 2010 Dzivani, Kenya

Whats up my homies! This week has been cruising by so quick it blows my mind! I don’t really remember when I wrote you last, but I will try and bring you up on the haps in the mother land. So yesterday we laid all the stones in the flooring up both class rooms in the Austin school and then poured water in through the cracks and then we all went through with a sledge hammer and slammed everything down nice and hard because Madzo says that’s the strongest way to do it, and no one in the right mind questions Madzo, he is gnarly. He looks like a boxer who could just kill a whole crew if he had to, but he is so tight. That took almost all day because we had to load up all the rocks from this rock pile that’s probably 300 yards away and then bring them over to the site in wheel barrels. It is crazy how much we take for granted in the US and how much it makes things so much easier for us cause we could have had both those rooms done in like twenty minutes with just one dump from a truck from geneva rock or something but these people have nothing! They have to go to the riverbank to get the rocks for the flooring themselves and bring them to the village. There is no such thing as anything but your own back and arms to get things done, no engines, no trucks, no electricity, just everything by hand. These people are truly amazing, they have it down too, their tools are straight from the stone age but they are genius. The walls are perfectly straight on the Austin school and they don’t even know what a level or a construction square is. It blows my mind every day I get to the site, Kenyans are amazing!

So Chakaya and I got over there at like ten when we realized Dzivani was not happenin and got to work on desks. It is fun work, but the grinder is sooo loud and makes my brain feels like it is gonna run out my nostrils so I made some make shift ear plugs out of paper towels and it worked like a charm. Between grinding and painting that’s pretty much what I do whenever I go over there, but we need to start getting started on the desks for the Austin school, we need 40 total for there, twenty each room. Those are the easier ones to make because they are wooden and don’t have to be welded or anything. After the Austin school is done, Madzo and I and his crew are cruising over to Miguneni to start on the primary school one family is sponsoring that I think is coming in july with you guys.

But any way, then me and Malau went down to see how my house is coming and they had one side of the roof completely done with just three others to do. We thought for sure we would be able to move in on Thursday, but it probably won’t happen now because it rained alllllll day today and it truly just poured. When it rains here it is like the biggest crazy mess but it is sooo tight cause it is warm rain and I just go and run in it and all the kids just laugh at me haha but I love it. It just sucks cause we couldn’t get to Dzivani today because of the rain. The river was a raging crazy fest and the roads were messier than anything you have ever seen so when that happens, the wood shop is my work of choice.

Thanks again to you everyone who is doing the blog and reading the blog, hopefully you are getting some good readers and hopefully the pics are ok. I would be in more of them except trying to teach a Kenyan how to use a camera is like teaching a dog to read and write, technology is not their strong point ha but I am working with Chakaya and Malau and they are slowly catching on. Any way I love all you guys and these people are the greatest! Keep on killin it and lovin it and keep doin what you all do.

No comments:

Post a Comment