Sunday, April 11, 2010

My New House

Hopefully you saw the earlier pictures of the boys and I lashing the sticks together to make the framework of my house. By looking at it you would never know how strong they are, but it's strong enough to hold a whole bunch of us on the roof.
After the framework is done they fill the spaces in between with mud mixed with grass!
Here's the view of my house from the neighbor's. I have enough land to raise some chickens!

Whats happenin homies! alright first things first, I made an unbelievable discovery. I feel like christopher columbus when he first stepped foot on America, that’s how unreal this is. I finished the book Born to Run two days ago and it was easily the dopest book ever. I have always hated my running shoes and they have always made my back hurt so I took off for a run yesterday morning in my 3 year old vans and I felt like a straight cheetah cruising across the savannah, it was monumental. I felt like I could go forever and I felt my form instantly change and it was more comfortable then ever, my back stopped hurting and I started feeling like I could go all day... I am stoked on that and I really did want to go forever but my shorts were completely soaked in sweat not even joking like they got dipped on a pool of water, soaked. So I turned back feeling like I was probably gonna die of heat exhaustion, but I didn’t even care cause I was so stoked. Any way, that kicked off yesterday and it made it such a dope day. Chakaya and I cruised into Dzivani and helped the “fundi’s” which are the brick masons and we just hauled big cinderblocks all day for the walls. I get so confused on what happened on which day cause its all just a blur, but I think that’s really all we did yesterday, and then we cruised over to see how my house is looking and it was looking pretty dang awesome... this bad dude was getting the roof made by just doing cross braces across. It really is the easiest way to make a house and so freaking primitive, but this is how these people live, it just blows my mind every day. They make these houses so perfect that when you look at them you’re just like “ok wow they live in mud, they must be dirty billies”, but the time spent on these houses is crazy and they really will pretty much withstand a hurricane, they are so stable it is crazy. Then today Malau and I cruised to Dzivani because Chakaya had some stuff he had to do or something and on the way there the exhaust pipe on the motorcycle straight up fell off! Haha! Not just broke, but fell off the bike and rolled around on the road! I was dying it was so funny. So we waited like an hour in this coconut grove until one of the mechanics could come help us fix it. I don’t know why I was surprised, but I was when he showed up with some wire, a screw driver and some pliers. Every thing here is the biggest rig job you have ever seen, just whatever they can find and whatever makes it work is good. But that’s all they have so it’s pretty amazing after you see what they can do with just crap laying around. So this guy basically just wired the exhaust pipe back on and said yeah you’re good and we cruised off haha but it works like a charm so I’m pretty stoked on it. We started leveling the class room closest to the other school right when we got there, but we were going to run out of dirt fast with how uneven the dirt is there. So we took all the dirt from the other classroom and put it in that one so we at least had one class room done and we could worry about the other one tomorrow. It was hard work just using shovels to move a ton of dirt, but it looks sooo good and with Madzo leading the way, he doesn’t let any BS go down. After all the dirt is level, they starting layering bowling ball sized rocks on top of the dirt. I don’t exactly know why, but I don’t ask questions so I think it’s so they can pour cement on top of that for the floor of the class room so it’s not just dirt like in the other buildings. Then at about noon we went to go see how my house was coming along and it was almost completely mudded. I was mad cause I wanted to help, but luckily it wasn’t as far along as I thought so we got nice and dirty for the whole rest of the day. It was so much fun too, just throwing mud in between sticks and watching whole walls come together, it is crazy and it works like a charm. I had to learn how to do it by trying to communicate with like 4 dudes who speak no English only Swahili and I just had to mimic the way they did it and they would just say yes if I was doing good or wait if it was bad. Haha, it’s like a constant game of charades with these people its awesome. I haven’t heard a full English sentence I think ever since Bret and the group left but it is dope. Hopefully on Monday or Tuesday I should be ready to move in with Malau and he is stoked. He doesn’t even speak good English but he is the most laid back dude and he is so chill but when it comes to work, he kicks some serious butt and I have already learned so much from him. I am thinking about giving him my Oakleys because he has been digging my Natives sunglasses every time I throw them on and he is always in the sun, so I figure he needs them more than I do especially since he has to live with my stinky body! haha. well I’m uploading all the progress to mobileme right now so check it out for the progress it is gallery.me.com/dallinframpton. McCall, i don’t remember all your questions but the food here isn’t even bad, its like these tortilla things for breakfast and then they just say nahh to lunch and then dinner is like cabbage and rice and beans and maybe goat stew if I get lucky which is OFF THE HOOK! I always am sweating too, which is getting annoying but I get used to it. Right when you get out of the shower you are already sweating again ha ha so I am just a stinky African now! Tomorrow I am going into the seventh circle of hell which is commonly known as Mombasa, the dirtiest place on earth to get some materials for my house and we are also out of water so we should probably pick some of that up too before I drink the native water. This place is sick! There is nothing like throwing on some tunes and riding dirt roads in Kenya at sunset, there really is nothing better. Can’t wait to see you guys, so go raise some freaking money so you girls can come over here! I love the necklace idea so run with it. My back is already peeling like mad and I brought no aloe or anything so I have just been dealing with it! I am tired as heck so goodnight.






3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude your house looks so sick!! im so jealous your still livin it up out there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dallin,

    I'm Jason's mom Kriskumi, checking in on your progress. Looks like all is well and going great for you. Keep up the good owrk. Jason got dropped of this last Wednesday at the MTC. I'll keep him posted on how your doing........Kriskumi

    ReplyDelete