Monday, April 19, 2010

My Kenyan Brothers - New Pictures

Several of you have asked for pictures of the people that I'm always talking about so here you go:

Anthony, the local head of Koins for Kenya. He is everybody's boss and when he talks they jump! He is the biggest stud in Kenya, he works his butt off and knows everything that is going on within 100 kilometers of here. He has me securely under his wing and it's his personal mission to make sure I get out of here alive.

This is Malau, he is so laid back and dope it is awesome. He's living with me in the other room in the hut. Notice the bunk beds, they are so if there are other Koins people in Dzivani they'll have a place to sleep. Malau is my companion and protector! I love the dude


This is Madzo, he's the foreman, supervisor, all around stud of the Austin Frampton school. He doesn't take any crap from anybody! He speaks about 5 words of English but when he talks to the crew they understand exactly what he is saying!This is Buffalo, the largest Kenyan I have ever seen. He is buttery and sweet and I love the guy! His daughter is way hot and Anthony always jokes with him that I need to take her out and it freaks Buffalo out. Anthony is going to give him a heart attack!
From the left, Mondero who is the head of the workshop in Mnyenzeni; me (in case you couldn't pick me out); Malau my roomie; Matano who is the tractor driver for Koins, he giggles everytime I see him, I get stoked just to be with him. The last two are two 19 year olds that are both married and have kids, I can't remember their names, but crazy that they are my age and married with kids!

This is the river we have to cross to get from Mnyenzeni to Dzivani. When it's not raining it's a dry road, when it rains you have to cross early or you don't cross at all. During the rainy season it becomes impassable for weeks at a time.

And one last picture, here's the progress of the Austin school, cinder block walls are going up. We're ahead of schedule! (Really there's no schedule I just like saying that!)

No comments:

Post a Comment